[Source for this article: The Arctic Coast Guard Forum]
What is the Arctic Coast Guard Forum (ACGF)?
The Arctic Coast Guard Forum (ACGF) is an independent, informal, operationally-driven organization, not bound by treaty, to foster safe, secure, and environmentally responsible maritime activity in the Arctic.
Who takes part?
All Arctic countries, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden and the United States are members of the forum. Chairmanship duties of the ACGF rotate every two years in concert with the Chairmanship of the Arctic Council. Iceland is the chair for the Forum in 2019 - 2021.
How does it works?
The work of the ACGF is headed by the ACGF Chair and supported by the Secretariat and Working Groups. The Secretariat is responsible for implementing strategic direction and the smooth operation of the ACGF and its Working Groups. Working Groups are subordinate to the Secretariat. The Secretariat and Working Groups are organized at the direction of the Principals and reflect issues relevant to member countries of the Arctic.
The forum holds two annual meetings every year, which are organized by the chair country.
Which are the strategic goals of the forum?
- Strengthen multilateral cooperation and coordination within the Arctic maritime domain, and existing and future multilateral agreements
- Seek common solutions to maritime issues related to the agencies fulfilling the functions of coast guards within the region
- Collaborate with the Arctic Council through the sharing of information
- Facilitate safe and secure maritime activity in the Arctic region, with sustainable development to be promoted as appropriate
- Contribute to a stable, predictable, and transparent maritime environment
- Build a common operational picture to ensure proper protocols for emergency response coordination, and safe navigation
- Work collaboratively to advance the protection of the marine environment
- Maximize the potential for Arctic maritime activities to positively impact the communities, lives, and culture of Arctic communities including indigenous peoples
- Integrate scientific research in support of Coast Guard operations as appropriate
- Support high standards of operations and sustainable activities in the Arctic through the sharing of information, including best practices and technological solutions to address threats and risks
Read more at ACGF's webpage.