Protection of the Arctic Marine Environment (PAME) is a working group of the Arctic Council, the high-level intergovernmental forum to promote cooperation, coordination and interaction among the Arctic states of Canada, USA, Russia, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland. The working groups are an essential part of the Council, contributing information to shape decision-making in the region.
The PAME Working Group's activities are directed towards protection of the Arctic marine environment. PAME's mandate is to address policy and non-emergency pollution prevention and control measures related to the protection of the Arctic marine environment from both land and sea-based activities. These include coordinated action programmes and guidelines complementing existing legal arrangements.
PAME is governed by a Chair and Management Board, and supported and coordinated by the International PAME Secretariat, based in Akureyri, Iceland.
PAME has multiple projects ongoing. The institute works after detailed Work Plans, released every two years. It lists projects in this timeframe. The objectives include to improve knowledge and respond to emerging knowledge of the Arctic marine environment, to determine the adequacy of applicable international/regional commitments and promote their implementation and compliance and to facilitate partnerships, programmes and technical cooperation and support communication and outreach both within and outside the Arctic Council. The Work Plans are available on PAME's website here.
PAME has worked on several projects, including:
• Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) in the Arctic (mitigating or minimizing the risk associated with the use or carriage of HFO in the Arctic Ocean)
• AMSA Recommendation II(D) on Specially Designated Arctic Marine Areas (Development of proposal(s) for internationally designated areas, for the purpose of environmental protection from shipping in the Arctic)
• Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Management Systems and the Use of Best Operating Practices for Offshore Arctic Oil and Gas Drilling Activities (a report and guidelines)
• Arctic Oil and Gas Management, Regulation and Enforcement (MRE) a Legal Regime Web-Based Information Resource
• The Arctic Ocean Review Phase II – Final report to Arctic Council
• Arctic Marine Strategic Plan – Update
At PAME, a variety of reports and other material has been published and is available on their website here.
The PAME website contains numerous reports on issues related to the Arctic marine environment. The highlight of them is the Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment, a comprehensive overview of shipping in the Arctic. The website also has the PAME work plans and other relative information.
The website is: www.pame.is.
Name: Soffia Gudmundsdottir
Job title: Executive director
Telephone: +354 863-8576